Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Quality #14 SELF-IMPROVING

Guest Blogger: Nadia Smith

Favorite Quote: “Let instruction and knowledge mean more to you than silver or the finest gold. Wisdom is worth much more than precious jewels or anything else you desire”. – King Solomon

Encouraging my students to improve educationally is the obvious part of my job everyday. However, it became evident to me that showing them how to improve personally was just as important. Improving yourself gives you a goal to work toward and be proud of, raises self-esteem, and allows you to put that weary and hesitant foot forward to step into new territory. When a student consistently shows responsibility with their homework and behavior, I can picture this individual as a responsible adult and tell them so. On the other hand, I think it is appropriate to discuss with a student who comes in without their homework several times a week what kind of a worker they plan to be when they are older. Often times, children just see themselves in the “now” and not as adults. Often they are not old enough or developed enough emotionally or cognitively to develop a self improvement plan on their own. They giggle when I have them picture themselves as drivers and members of the work force. Why not step in and help them with that?

The goal of this chapter is to show us how to improve ourselves as individuals to the betterment of the TEAM. According to Maxwell, you should commit to learn something new everyday. This involves a conscious effort to slow yourself down, take time alone and assess your successes as well as failures. Then apply the results of that thinking and changing to benefit the TEAM.

Upon reflection on this chapter, I can see where this concept of SELF-IMPROVING to benefit the team can apply to different aspects of my life. I have many “teams” in my life. They include my family, classroom students, my church and friends.

According to Maxwell, we must:

*become highly teachable
He recommends we, “Adopt the attitude of a learner, not an expert.”

*plan your progress
Decide what you need to do (buying books, attending seminars, etc…) and do it every single day, “…so that not a day passes without your experiencing improvement of some kind”.

* value self-improvement above self-promotion
Make career choices based on opportunities to improve self as opposed to improving financially.

Will you take Maxwell’s challenge to self improve? As teachers, at this time of year we are looking forward to a relaxing summer away from planning lessons and managing children. We can choose JUST one tiny area to improve ourselves and see how to affects the “TEAM”. I look forward to planning my personal goal for this summer. I am curious to see how and if it will benefit my family. I look forward to hearing about yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment