Total Pageviews

Monday, September 14, 2009

A Long Time Coming

A movie that means something. Not too long ago, I told Carolyn that I wanted a movie that means something. I don't know whether we were leaving Inglourious Basterds, District 9, or Extract.

To recap, Inglourious Basterds as about bashing Nazis, literally. Brad Pitt leads a group of Jewish soldiers in WW II that went around capturing and killing Nazis, sometimes by beating them with a Louisville Slugger. It could have had a deeper meaning but it didn't. District 9 was sci-fi and was about, I kid you not, shrimp. An alien spacecraft lands in South Africa and gets stranded. The aliens are put into a ghetto and ten years pass. They looked like shrimp and were called, "Prawns." Sci-fi is not my cup of tea, but this movie ruined me for seafood for a while. Extract was about, well, extract; you know,vanilla, almond, strawberry extract. In it, the character played by Justin Bateman, owns an extract factory and pays a pool boy to sleep with his wife so he can get with an employee without guilt. Again, about as stupid as you can get. Don't get me wrong, I love dumb, clever movies like Dumb and Dumber. These were just plain dumb.

This weekend my wish came true when we went to see Tyler Perry's I Can Be Bad All By Myself. First of all, it is hysterically funny. Madea is her usual self and her mutilation of the language and comical threats cause many LOL moments. This movie contains absolutely wonderful and transcendent musical moments. The story takes place in a church and a blues club in a downtown neighborhood. Performing in the movie are Gladys Knight, Mary J. Blige, and a gospel choir led by Clarence Wynans. You even get a brief sermon in the movie, and if you are not careful, you will leave the theater feeling a little Pentecostal. I'm just sayin'. The best aspect of the movie is the story itself. Of course, Tyler Perry plays Madea when three children break into her house and she catches them. Taraji P. Henson plays Aunt April, who is thrust into taking care of three children when the grandmother dies. Her life is a mess, but a good man and the Good Lord bring her around. I promise you that you'll have several good belly laughs, and that you will cry at some points in this terrific movie. I guess that's why it's classified as a comedy/drama. If you haven't yet, go see this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment