Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

Fat Boy Blues

OK.  Many of you know that I have been trying to eat healthy and lose weight since my heart scare last year.  So far, everything is great, weight, cholesterol, and bp all coming down.  So far I have lost 45 lbs. from a high of 338.  Several months ago I tried to use Wii Fitness with my grand kids, but it gave me a message saying that I was over the 300 lb. limit and to come back when I got below 300.  That was bad enough, but I set that as an interim goal, sort of like not needing an extender for an airplane seat belt, or being able to see your feet when you weigh.  This week, doing the math, I figured that I was under 300 enough to give it a try.  I would get started and surprise my granddaughters by playing with them.  Alas, it was not to be so.

This afternoon became the afternoon to try, so I took it out, connected everything, and fired that baby up.  While I waited for it to warm up,  it gave me a nice lecture about balance and posture.  Then it told me to get on so it could analyse me.  Now this next part may seem unbelievable, but I swear its true.  When I stepped up on the platform, there was an audible grunt or sigh from the machine.  I kid you not!  I hurt the Wii Fitness machine, and I know because it said, "Ohh!"  In a minute it came back with a message asking if I was "fidgeting", then asked me to get off so it could reboot.  It did and asked me to get back on - same result.  This happened nine times before I gave up.  Always the same messages and sounds, always the same result.   I know I'm under 300, so my balance must have been shaky, as it often is.  Don't misunderstand - I like fat humor more than most people.  Ralphie May is one of my favorite comedians.  But seriously, Nintendo, is it really necessary for the game to grunt when a big person steps on the platform?  We could have skipped that part and had the same results.  What's next - a chair that exhales deeply when I sit in it?   Come on, man!  A little encouragement would be nice.  Oh well, the pool will open in a few weeks and the Wii won't matter.  Maybe by Fall I'll be able to stand without fidgeting so much.

5 comments:

  1. Mother of God...how horrible! You are doing great...I think a letter to Nintendo is in order...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I personally think Wii owes you an apology. You have made great progress and a commitment to being healthy. Keep on being positive....just get back on in a few days and think of that OHHH....as an OHHH YEAH!!!!
    Cindy D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget that rude machine! It's awesome you're making progress on getting healthy. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI...that little grunting sound is made each time Gordon and I step on it also. As far as fidgeting, it ain't seen nothing til I stomp it to death!!!Keep up the tremedous work. The numbers are there for proof!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got on today and was able to get analyzed and do some stuff. Oddly, the grunt only happened twice. Maybe it felt sorry for me.

    ReplyDelete