Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October Underdogs

The MLB playoffs have been great this year, even though my Rays and Braves got bounced early. My enjoyment begins with the dominant ptching performances so far. Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, CJ WIlson, and Brian Lincecum have pitched marvelous games already. Cliff Lee has pitched three masterpieces against the Rays and Yankees and Halladay has a postseason no-hitter. Lee has been as close to unhittable as a pitcher can be. His curvball is just nasty. The Texas Rangers and San Francisco Giants have surprised me the most. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I expected both to be ousted in the first round. I was wrong. Along with the pitching, they both have had clutch hitting. The Giants polished the Braves in short order and led the Phillies 2 games to 1. Ther's a long way to go, but they are at home for two more games and a chance to close the series out. The Rangers have been even more surprising to me. Right now, they look like the team to beat in the World Series. In addition to great pitching, they have a solid line-up featuring Josh Hamilton. They should not have been underdogs to the Rays and they are proving that they are just plain better than the venerated/hated New York Yankees. They lead the ALCS 3 games to 1, with another game at home with a solid pitcher to win it. If not, they have Lee available for a Game 7. I would love a Giants/Rangers World Series. Why so, especially since the two teams I favor were rudely ejected by them? At this moment, they are the two best teams in MLB.

1 comment:

  1. Well it has come to pass - the Texas Rangers and San Francisco Giants in the World Series. I understand why there are some concerns about fan interest in this match-up. Fans of the game of baseball will relish it, because there will be some lights out pitching and clutch hitting in this one. I, for one, am looking forward to it more than any series since the Rays and Philies were in it.

    ReplyDelete