Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 21, 2010

People I Admire - Mr. Mo'

I had the good fortune to see my good friend Don Moore at church last night. I met Don 30 years ago when Carolyn worked for him at Keowee Elementary School. He is quite possibly the nicest man I have ever met. Ever jovial, he is a master story teller and has a quick, engaging wit. He is smart, too. I know this because he married well. His wife, Peggy is a retired school principal, as is Don. He has two adult children, Trent and Bess, both of whom are married with children.

We have been members of the Carol Barner Sunday School Class at Saint Mark United Methodist Church together since 1993. We have traveled together to Lake Junaluska, New Orleans, and Phoenix. Don is the same wherever he goes. What you see is what you get. He does not put on airs for anyone. Once we were eating dinner in the Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans when Don asked for bread before dinner. The waiter told him no, because he did not want us to fill up on bread. Don asked again and got the same result. Many people would pitch a fit to get their way, but not Don. He just shrugged and waited for the bread that came with dinner. He is gifted with a common touch that will allow him to relate to anyone from a university president to the parent of a troubled child.

One thing I have learned about Don is that he can cook some mean barbecue. A pig-pickin' at Don's is an event not to be missed. The vinegar and pepper sauce is the best I have ever tasted. After one such event I didn't eat BBQ for a while, because it all tasted tame. Don is also a golfer. Having played with him on several occasions, I can vouch for the fact that he can flat out hit it. He has the ability to coach less skilled players as well. During one of our golf outings, I hit into some trees off the the tee. The ball ricochet backwards and rolled to a stop at my feet. In his most earnest and thoughtful vice Don says, "Dickie, I know what you are doing wrong. You're standing too close to the ball." (long, long pause)"after you hit it." Obviously, we all just fell apart and laughed the rest of the way around. None of this beats what is to follow.

Don is also a cancer survivor - pancreatic to be specific. More that two years ago, Don Moore was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. During his treatment and recovery, we saw less of him, and when we saw him he looked sick. That's what makes seeing him last night so special. He looked healthy and more like himself than he has in a long time. He has lost bunch of weight still, but that twinkle was in the eye; that smile broke across his face; and that quick wit were all back. He persevered and beat pancreatic cancer. Thank God for his recovery, for he is one of those people that everyone who knows him would like to emulate more. If we all did, this world would be a much nicer one in which to live.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%! Don is a wonderful man. I worked with him when I first started teaching in Adult Education in Oconee County in 1990. He always has a smile on his face.

    ReplyDelete